And let’s not forget about the incredible cast, with Sonequa Martin-Green leading the way as Captain Michael Burnham. They will be joined by a star-studded group, including Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Mary Wiseman, Wilson Cruz, Blu del Barrio, David Ajala, and Callum Keith Rennie.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic causing some changes in production plans, the fifth season of this galactic adventure was officially ordered in January 2022. Filming took place from June to November in Toronto, Canada, promising to bring fans another thrilling chapter in the Star Trek universe. So, make sure to mark your calendars and prepare to boldly go where no one has gone before in star-trek-discovery-season-5!
What is Star Trek: Discovery About?
When Star Trek: Discovery first launched, it boldly went where no series had gone before, exploring the early days of the Federation a decade prior to the Original Series. But as they say, time waits for no one, and a chaotic time travel incident hurled the crew almost a millennium into the future.
Now, the Discovery finds itself in a strange new world – the 32nd century – where dilithium, the lifeblood of most ships, has become a scarce resource. Thankfully, the ship’s experimental mycelial spore drive, powered by none other than the humble mushroom, proves to be a game-changer in this dire situation. As the crew struggles to adapt to this unfamiliar time and place, the Discovery’s unique technology may hold the key to their survival.
Who Is in the Cast?
- Sonequa Martin-Green stars as Michael Burnham, the complex and dynamic captain of Discovery
- Doug Jones plays Saru, the previous captain of Discovery and a skilled contortionist
- Anthony Rapp plays Paul Stamets, the brilliant and intense scientist who invented the mycelial spore drive, and the first regularly appearing openly gay character in Star Trek
- Wilson Cruz plays Dr. Hugh Culber, Stamets’ husband and a familiar face from My So-Called Life and 13 Reasons Why
- Mary Wiseman plays Sylvia Tilly, the young and eager cadet who has worked her way up the ranks
- Blu del Barrio plays Adira Tal, a nonbinary character and a first for the Star Trek franchise
- David Ajala returns as empathic character Cleveland “Book” Booker
- David Cronenberg, legendary director of horror films, joins the cast as Kovich, a Starfleet operative with mysterious motives
- New additions to the cast for season five include Callum Keith Rennie, Eve Harlow, and Elias Toufexis, all known for their work in various sci-fi and fantasy projects
What’s in season 5?
In a thrilling revelation, executive producer and co-showrunner Alex Kurtzman declared in October 2020 that all seasons beyond the third would transport viewers to the 32nd century. But while fans eagerly await the fifth season, co-showrunner Michelle Paradise revealed in August 2021 that the writing process was yet to commence.
Fast forward to March 2022, and the writers were in full swing, penning scripts for the upcoming season while simultaneously working on post-production for season four. In fact, some scripts for the fifth season were already complete by the time the fourth season finale aired on March 17.
As the season finale drew closer, Paradise was hard at work on the script, completing it on September 12, 2022. And fans have much to look forward to, as executive producer and producing director Olatunde Osunsanmi teased that the fifth season will take inspiration from both Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation, promising more exploration and adventure.
The season’s plot follows the USS Discovery on an epic, galaxy-spanning quest to uncover a long-hidden power coveted by dangerous factions. With these exciting developments, the future of Star Trek has never looked brighter.