A man waiting at the Bronx bus stop was surprised on Saturday afternoon when he fell about 15 feet down into a cellar. A piece of the sidewalk he was standing on suddenly gave away, New York fire officials stated.
Leonard Shoulders, 33 years old, only suffered minor head injuries, the police say.
A witness told the TV station CBS2 had lent the man his lighter, turned away for just a moment, before looking back to find that the man was gone. He had fallen through a hole that was about 20 inches square. Surveillance footage shows that Shoulders, while lighting a cigarette, took a single step forward and plummeted almost immediately through the pavement. Briefly, he held on to the edge of the hole before falling in.
The rescue crew took about thirty minutes to reach him, and finally got to said cellar through a side door of the building. He was taken afterwards to the St. Barnabas Hospital, which happened to be right across the street of the accident.
Cindy White, the man’s mother, told News 4 New York that he waved in response to the onlookers calls, but couldn’t verbally respond. This was due to the rats of immense number down in the cellar with him.
“He was like, ‘Ma, the rats down there were ridiculous.’ He was like, ‘They were like so big.’ He was scared to yell out because he thought they were gonna go in his mouth,” she said.
The man is expected to make a quick return to life after the incident, and an immediate look over at the hospital. The hole was sealed off from the public, and the rats, as per usual, have fled the scene. Three businesses have had to close their doors due to the incidents danger to the public. Debris hit the man over and over on the head on the way down, and with a fall so sudden, the surprise cost him more then the physical blows.